Thursday, April 28, 2011

Taking Care of Business

Something has clicked in my brain. It has been almost a full year since I finished school and I feel like I have my footing in the ‘real’ world. (I use ‘real’ very loosely here since I am still supported by my parents and work in the arts)

The reason I haven’t been posting lately is because I’ve been working two jobs. In addition to my usual day job as a production assistant, I’ve also been editing the thesis film of a friend of mine. While I will not pretend that it has been easy, it has been so rewarding.

Being paid to do what I’ve been trained to do feels fantastic. Every moment working on this project has been a validation that all the time, money and effort spent in my training was worth it. This editing job has made me realize how much I’ve missed the practical application of 'my art'. (Again the term is used loosely, because I still have trouble considering myself an artist). I am now looking for more opportunities to take side projects and jobs to keep my skills up to snuff, and to expand my knowledge and experience base.

I feel like for so long so many parts of my life have been on hold. This job has really shown me that they don't have to be. I can be working towards getting days of work for the union. I can be moving forward, networking, and learning NOW. Obviously all this was true two weeks ago, but something about experiencing editing again, (and knowing I can survive two jobs at once for short spurts of time) has really my perspective. I am actively trying to figure out how to accelerate my career so that I can make the practical side of editing my full time job. For the first time I can see possibilities for my future as an editor, what steps I need to take and how I can get there.

Basically I'm pumped for the future. Bring it on!

~Claire Out.

1 comment:

Amanda Vickerson said...

Having two jobs and doing what you love are clearly amazing confidence boosters, and I'm glad it's happening for you! With your drive to succeed, I have no doubt you will, and soon. :)