Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hot Yoga

About a week ago an incredibly friendly co-worker of mine asked if I would want to join her for some morning yoga. I had been invited last season as well, but had declined due to scheduling difficulties. This season I have a much easier start time, and obviously a new found craving to try new things. So I accepted.

This morning I went to my first yoga class ever.

You see, I had avoided yoga in the past because I had it in my mind as an activity for very skinny very flexible women, not really a mental picture I associate with myself. I also used to avoid ever working out at the gym because I become deeply self-consciousness when working out with other people. (It's the potential judgement...It's stupid....I'm trying to get over it) But today I was ready to face my fears.

Did I mention that this was hot yoga?

Ninety minutes. One hundred and five degrees. Twenty plus Yogis. And me.

It went surprisingly well.

I'll admit, I didn't do everything the 'regular' crowd did. There were times when I was just standing (or laying on the floor) while most of the others were twisting themselves into complex shapes. I did, however, attempt almost every pose. (I was relieved to see they were pretty simple) Some poses were successful. I rocked out the half moon. Some poses were not. There was one that required me to grab my foot and it kept sliding away from me like a greased pig. (What? It was hot in there!) But overall I had a marvelous time.

I have never been so in touch with what my body was feeling before. Perhaps it was because my body was screaming 'Holy MOLY it's hot!', but I'd like to think it was something more than that. Since I had absolutely no reference point to judge myself against I had to continually make sure I wasn't hurting myself. I kept thinking, are you dizzy? Are you thirsty? Is that a good stretch or can you go further? Quite frankly, I think my body was flattered by the attention of my conscious thought. And because I didn't know what to expect at all, I was completely focused on each pose. It was freeing and downright fun to push myself to see what my body was capable of doing.

Basically, I'm sold. I'm planning on going back this Thursday. While it is too expensive for me to adopt for an all-the-time workout. I plan on indulging in maybe a few sessions a month as a little treat to myself.

3 comments:

Amanda Vickerson said...

I have been wanting to try hot yoga for ages! I love summer practices because I feel especially limber and yes, in tune with my body.

Now that I've heard a personal recommendation from such an excellent source, hot yoga is officially on my "things to try this year" list!

Claire said...

YES! Yoga is AMAZING. I started going about a year ago, now I go at least twice a week. The effect it has on your mind and body is incredible. Each time you'll be able to do something new, even if it's just a little thing, and the minor accomplishments do wonders for your self esteem. You are also so busy concentrating on yourself that you forget to worry about others judging you.
Never tried hot yoga, they keep the rooms around 85 degrees at my place, but I think it would be fun to try it.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Claire! Sheesh! Good for you!