Monday, May 9, 2011

An Ode To Language

A Facebook friend of mine posted this video.*

As I was watching the video, I became more and more excited. Never had my own views on language been more clearly expressed. (and in an groovy English accent no less!)

For some reason, (probably having to do with a combination of my alternative education and my dyslexia) the rules of grammer have never been very clear to me. I couldn't diagram a sentence to save my life. (I can sense you nodding your head in agreement dear reader. I sympathise.) However, I've found I can't be made to care too much about the rules of language.

Remember that friend you had in grade school? The one that you passed a note to in class? They would always pass back your same note, pointing out and correcting your errors in spelling, grammer, and punctuation. Well, that kid completely missed the point. The idea was to communicate (in a slightly rebellious way) and they stopped that communication dead in it's tracks. Is it worth being pro-language to the point of being anti-communication? In my opinion, no. Isn't that why language developed? In order to communicate? Communication should be considered more important than grammer.

(I'm sure that some of you were that kid in elementary school. And good on you! I'm sure your life has been better for it. I have left a string of exasperated English teachers in my wake. And I'm sure it's students like you that allow them to live on without tearing their hair out. And thank you too for your understanding when your read my blog and not e-mailing me with a list of corrections.)

Now, to take a moment to talk about the beauty of language. If you know me, you know I love Shakespeare. In my mind he is one of the greatest craftsmen of beautiful language to ever live. It amazes me every time, how the meaning of the words is enriched when you hear the words spoken aloud. I have been known to read Shakespeare aloud when I'm feeling depressed. Just knowing that I can speak such beautiful words somehow makes things better. Shakespeare was well known for his misuse and abuse of language, which later was called innovation. One of my favorite examples of a Shakespeare Original, is the word 'bloodthirsty'. Now the word 'blood' and the world 'thirsty' already existed ... but combined! Not only is this new word instantly understandable to the Elizabethan population... but what a mental picture!

In my studies of Shakespeare, I learned about the Elizabethan fascination with the study of rhetoric. It was the study of composition of writing, persuasive speeches, and utilizing the beauty of words to enhance both. It was the equivalent of modern day English/debate/poetry/journalism class and it was taught in every school. The beauty of the words (and indeed the tactile pleasure of saying them) were as important as effectively communicating and being grammatically correct. I get the sinking feeling I would have done much better in Rhetoric class than I every did in English. Clear, correct and beautiful language ... can't we have it all?

I suppose I should brush up on my grammer. If only to work toward the glorious trifecta of rhetoric.

If you admire a concisely expressed thought.

If you savor the challenge of conquering a new tongue twister.

If you delight in changing someones mind through words.

If you read passages of books aloud because the words are too beautiful to go unsaid.

If you know that the beauty and power of language is too tremendous to be boiled down into the parts of speech all the time.

Then, you have a friend in me. (And Stephen Fry)

~Claire Out.

*For the record I find the actual visual element of the video a little dull ... different font sizes of Helvetica are only visually interesting for so long. (Please don't be offended Mike.)



2 comments:

Amanda Vickerson said...

I was THAT kid, and I realize now how annoying I must have been. Many apologies.

I love words, and the reason I have such a hard time "getting" poetry is because I know it needs to be said. I absolutely adore poetry readings and slams because I can hear the author directly. That person knows just where to emphasize the words to create the fullest effect. On paper, it doesn't work for me.

Before I met you, I hadn't the foggiest about the draw of theatre. Luckily, you dragged me to show after show, and I finally understood. Shakespeare still lives in many interpretations, and I love seeing the multitude of ways people experience it!

Unknown said...

I liked both the video and your post. Here is another word animation (from the days of typewriters!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrTzPAUqic