Wednesday, December 14, 2011

New Recipe- Shepard's Pie

Over the past few months I've been enjoying trying out a few new recipes for Mike and I to share. It has been a fun way to expand my culinary horizons and a chance to improve my basic-at-best cooking skills.

I don't know why I picked out trying to make Sheppard's Pie, it isn't something I grew up eating, and I never really order it out. Maybe it's the winter months and I'm was yearning for something hearty? Maybe I read too much English literature (aka meat pie propaganda)? No matter the reason, I was determined to try to make this English comfort food.

A Sneak Peak at the Finished Product

So I turned to my trusty friend, the Food Network website for some recipes. I ended up adapting Alton Brown's Shepard's Pie Recipe. His version left out the pie part of the pie (which is probably more historically accurate, knowing Mr. Brown), but I wanted to have a crust of some kind on the bottom. I just used frozen pastry dough rolled out and put into oven safe bowls. Did I mention I was going for individual Shepard's Pies? (Is that the plural of Shepard's Pie? Weird.)


I also substituted ground beef for the ground lamb (which may make it more of a Cowboy's Pie then Shepard's) and a dash of soy sauce and tabasco for Worcestershire sauce. I also made about a third of what the recipe called for, hoping to achieve something more appropriate for two people.

My lovely assistant making the mashed potatoes.

The Filling

Assembly In Progress

It turned out pretty well. It was rich, comforting, and hearty. Half a bowl was enough for a filling dinner for me, and I was able to enjoy the rest as lunch the next day. If I were to attempt individual pies again I would probably go with a large muffin tin instead of a cereal bowl.

As a newbie to Shepard's Pie I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent meat to veggie ratio.


The crust was still a little doughy when it came out of the oven, but that could easily be fixed by a little pre-baking before adding the filling. I also wouldn't make the mashed potato's as smooth on top. I might leave a few more edges so that they could brown up in the oven.

I feel pretty good about my first foray into meat pies. Perhaps I'll revisit this again some time before the winter is over. Mmmm comfort food.

~Claire Out

No comments: