Friday, December 9, 2011

Tree in the House!

Ta Da! I'm making my triumphant return to blogging! (Maybe not triumphant, maybe more like embarrassed from being away so long. But the important thing is I am back, and writing.) Hurrah!

To get you all in the holiday spirit, I'd love to show off my beautiful, zero dollar, christmas tree.


I was give this six-foot beauty by my good friends Leah and Chris. I helped the newlyweds pack up the truck as they struck off across the country to the exotic land of Arkansas. In the flurry of moving they offered me their christmas tree that they had to leave behind. (Score!)

I had always been skeptical of fake trees, having had fresh cut trees growing up. We have some great family stories surrounding the ritual of cutting our own tree down. Traditionally, the smallest person in the family was dragged several feet through the mud while trying to 'help' carry the tree. I believe my brother, mother and myself can claim the honor of tree surfing at one time or another as the other family members (crazy with the christmas spirit) heave-hoed the tree back to the car, which was always uphill. Always. With precious memories like that, how could I ever even consider having a fake tree?

My First Christmas Ornament

Unfortunately a bank account like mine has prevented me from buying my own fresh tree for the past three years. I couldn't justify the expense of buying a fresh tree in L.A. when I had a beauty waiting for me when I went home to my parents house each year. But I always missed having a tree to help get me in the holiday mood.

Then Leah and Chris bestowed the greatest gift, the gift of Christmas Spirit. I set up the tree last weekend and decorated it with all of the ornaments from my childhood that had been waiting patiently in a box since I moved out.


I can't believe I was so down about fake trees. What a snob. I see the error of my ways every time I find myself starring happily at the tree in my living room. The only thing missing was the smell. Which is why I bought this from the local grocery store.


Every time I walk by, I stuff my face among the needles and give a big whiff. Ahhhhh Christmas.

Mike and I also purchased our first ornament as a couple. (Awwww) It's a dragon.

Rawr.

I think it's perfect since we're nerds. Skyrim gaming, Hobbit reading, Dungeon's and Dragon's playing Nerds. Nice.

I'll leave you with one last look at this beautiful tree.


What have you been doing to get in the holiday spirit?

~Claire Out.

No comments: