Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Exciting News

Well my new year has started out even better than I had expected when my boyfriend Mike asked me to marry him. We're engaged!

I am so excited, it has taken me almost a week to trust myself to be able to write about it. I was so overwhelmed, shocked and excited that for several days afterwards I wasn't able to form full sentences. Not aloud, not in my mind, nothing. No a single clear thought could form before it was overwhelmed by my excitement.

First, let me tell you The Story of Our Engagement.

Mike and I went to Disneyland on Thursday in order to celebrate our four-year anniversary. Not only is Disneyland a fun (and magical) place to spend a day, but it is also were we met, working together in Tomorrowland.

Because Disneyland is a special place for us I totally bought Mike's story that we were going there to celebrate four years together and for no other reason. My first clue that something else was brewing was when we went to park. I offered to pay the (somewhat ludicrous) parking fee, and began to search the backpack for my wallet. Mike freaked out a little as I started randomly opening pockets, which made me think there might be something in there I wasn't supposed to see.

I put that in the back of my mind, assuming it was a little card or gift to celebrate our anniversary. I thought it couldn't possibly be a ring because Mike intended to talk to my parents before he proposed, and I knew they hadn't had that chat yet. Instead I focused on having a fun day at the park, not at all a challenging task.

Waiting for the Alice in Wonderland ride, one of my childhood favorites.

About to go on an Adventure in Adventureland

Looking oh-so-cool in my 3D glasses waiting for the new Star Tours

The Matterhorn!

Right around five o'clock we found ourselves in Tomorrowland, and Mike suggested we go on Astro Orbitor, the ride we used to work on together. This was Mike's first ride request of the day and I was happy to oblige.

Waiting in line Mike got quiet.

Those of you who know Mike know he isn't exactly a chatterbox anyway, but he started responding to my prompts of conversation with single syllables. I made a mental note that his blood sugar was probably low and we should grab a snack after the ride.

Mike lead us to a rocket on the opposite side of the control tower, then went to go 'drop off the backpack'. He was gone a long time, and I grew suspicious, something was up.

He did return and we flew around on a rocket ship for our alotted minute or so. The sun had just gone down and you could see all the lights making the park glow. It was beautiful. (The time of day was apparently carefully chosen by Mike).

We struggled out of our rocket ship and Mike said he wanted the cast member to take a picture of us. I followed him around to the place where our backpack had been left and prepared to be photographed.

Mike walked over to me and said something along the lines of, "Ever since I've met you four years ago I've been so happy." And honestly that is the last of the words that I remember because it was then that I realized what was happening. He got down on one knee, opened up a ring box and asked to marry me.


I said yes.


I cried, I shook, I smiled, I hugged him, people shouted congratulations, we posed for another picture, it is absolutely a blur of happiness and tears in my memory.

I had to find a place to sit down and get a grip. It turned out that he talked to my parents just after Christmas this year without me knowing about it at all. Good job sneaky parents! We talked about how happy we were, how different it felt and how odd it was that we were currently inside of a story that we were going to tell for the rest of our lives.

I called my parents and brother and giggle-cried into the phone. They congratulated me politely listened to my babbled happiness. We sat in front of the Sleeping Beauty's castle for a while as I collected myself. We were both emotionally drained and footsore from so much walking. We took it very easy, sitting, shopping for cookies, and enjoying being engaged until our dinner reservation at the Blue Bayou.


For those of you who do not know the blue bayou is a restaurant inside of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. (It is at the start of the ride, it isn't as if you are seated next to an animatronic Jonny Depp.) It is beautifully lit by colorful lanterns and you hear the water go flowing by. We got a table right next to the water because Mike mentioned when he made the reservation that we were getting engaged.

Please ignore the terrible sound.

Unfortunately, the staff of the restaurant thought that we were getting engaged there and were holding their breath the whole night until (after desert!!) I shared with our waitress that we had just gotten engaged. She told us she was so relieved, everyone was waiting and hoping that Mike hadn't gotten cold feet.

OOPS. Obviously we have a lot to learn about the etiquette of being engaged. She didn't even have the ring as a clue since I was wearing it on my pinky finger. (It is being resized now and I miss it. I can't wait to get to wear it!)


After a delicious dinner, and an all around wonderful day we headed home. Mike had a bottle of wine chilling in the fridge that had had chosen for this occasion. We had time for one small toast before we said goodnight. (The bottle was tackled with more gusto the following day with dinner.)

I have been so touched by the congratulations of friends and family as news of our engagement has gotten out. We have been basking in phone calls, texts, Facebook posts and hugs. I am so grateful for all the people in our lives.


Basically I am thrilled to be engaged. I'm amazed at how different it feels thinking about wanting to marry Mike to having the question asked and answered. I am constantly astounded at my good luck for having been in exactly the right place at the right time to have met him. I am so thankful for all of our years together so far, and am looking forward to many many more.

~Claire Out.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is so perfect to read... tears streaming down my face. i am filled to the brim with joy for you two.
xo
~ leila

Claire said...

Thank you so much. Clearly we are filled with joy as well. You have a truly wonderful son. I am so lucky to have him in my life.
xoxo