Friday, September 7, 2012

Phase One Update

As I talked about in my post a few weeks ago (here), I turned over a new leaf in terms of eating healthfully.  I started following the diet recommended by Bob Green in his book "The Best Life Diet".  

The first phase of this diet cuts out a few bad foods and establishes some healthy eating habits.  It is supposed to last four weeks, and here I am four weeks later to report back.

Overall, a success!  Before I started my diet, my blood sugar would often drop down low enough to make me light headed (or at least cranky) at least once a week.  Since I've been eating better foods at more regular times I've found I'm less hungry than I used to be.  I've managed to lose some weight these past weeks, which is very encouraging.  And I've been sleeping better (due in some part I'm sure to cutting out soda).

However, I did cheat a little bit.  This is absolutely my biggest weakness when it comes to staying on a healthy eating plan.  I am a tad too lenient on myself when it comes to eating rules and I sometimes liberally interpret "none" as "just a little bit".  Unlike in the past, I managed to get back on the wagon immediately.  I didn't let it ruin my whole day, or week, or whatever I used to tell myself to excuse bad eating.  As silly as it sounds, I consider this personal growth.  It is absolutely going to be my focus in the weeks ahead to cut out my rebellious cheating completely.  (Not in a self denial, drill-sergeant-kind-of-way, but in a firm-but-loving-parent kind of way.)

This diet has been such a success that I am actually going to remain in Phase One until I stop losing weight consistently.  I'm going to ride out how much weight I can lose doing these small changes before I bump it up to the next level of healthy eating.  I'll keep you updated when I move onto Phase Two.

What is your biggest weakness when it comes to eating healthfully?

~Claire Out.


2 comments:

Rachel said...

I've actually been trying to "get healthy" myself, so this was really nice to read. I've found that my biggest hurdle is time. I've been on the go a lot lately, and if I don't have something healthy ready to eat, I turn to the easy stuff. Right now, I'm a "nanny" to my friend's baby 60 hours a week and going to school full time. At their house, there is literally nothing to eat, so if I don't have breakfast and lunch with me, I end up going out and picking up fast food or not eating at all. The not eating part is what really gets me. I get nauseated and angry, and then when I am finally able to eat, I binge. I've found a couple things to help me avoid that, and they seem to be working. One, I made breakfast patty things in advance. I basically just baked egg with spinach and a little feta cheese in muffin tins. They come out as little omelet patties and are easily freezable and portable. The other thing I've begun doing is making lunch the night before. I've been eating a delicious, healthy, filling salad every day. I use baby spinach, carrots, tomatoes, kidney beans, a little bit of crumbled feta (I love cheese), and some chicken breast. I prefer to use home cooked chicken, but the canned chicken breast in water works in a bind. I use about 2 tablespoons of salad dressing to just give it a little flavor, and I add pepper. I also bring a banana or some other fruit with me for a snack in the day. The snack and pre prepped food have really helped me choose healthier options for dinner, and I have a lot more energy. I didn't mean for this to be such a long comment, but I had a lot to say! I really hope your changes are successful for you, and I love to read your updates or tips! Oh, random side note, I was remembering back to when Mike and Matt used to sing the "Baby in the Pack (Park)" song, and I really missed the whole gang. :)
-Rachel-

Claire said...

Good to hear from you Rachel! I totally want to try those little omelet patties. I feel like I've seen them around on Pinterest. I'm glad that you are taking on healthy eating, I totally agree that pre-planning is critical...otherwise you resort to the easy junk food. I too miss the good old days in the park with you and Dey and the gang. Thinking of you in the OC. xoxo