Friday, August 31, 2012

Tiny House

I have many strange qualities, and I am constantly surprised and grateful that you all (normally) find my strangeness charming instead of repellent.


One of my more peculiar traits is my love of teeny-tiny, well organized spaces.  I think it feeds the repressed engineer part of my soul so see something well considered and efficient and it feeds the artistic part of my soul to see something to cosy and beautiful.

This obsession is deeply rooted in my personality.  To lay the groundwork for you, as a child:

-I had an unhealthy interest in airplane bathrooms.  (I had to visit this wonderland at least twice a flight.)
-I went on trips with my grandparents in their motorhome and I was in awe of how they were able to make all the comforts of home fit into a car.
-I would play house in the space between my bed and my bedroom wall, and wonder why anyone on earth would need any more space than that 2' x 6' to live in.

So now that I've shown how deep this love affair with the teeny tiny goes, I'll share with you my latest obsession: the tiny home.

Weebee from Tumbleweed


Gifford from Tumbleweed


Just look at how cute these little guys are!  I first became aware of the concept of "Tiny Houses" while browsing around Pinterest, and have spent the last several months casually browsing through floor plans and watching web videos on tiny living.  (There is also an awesome episode of HGTV Design star where they design Tiny Homes, season 6 which is weirdly not online right now...)

One of the leaders of the "Tiny Home Revolution" is Jay Shafer, and his website is where I find myself many an day dreamy saturday afternoon.  His company sells plans, kits and pre-made tiny homes.  The one I have picked out in my dreams is actually one of his biggest: The Loring.



I love the idea of living super simply and uncluttered.  My current cleaning pattern is letting my living spaces get dirtier and dirtier until I snap and clean everything from top to bottom.  This can take anywhere from one week to two, but with this small of a space it would increase my cleaning cycle to daily.  (Bonus)

My palms get sweaty when I think about how challenging and rewarding it would be to build something like this on my own.  It is something that in one way or another I would love to attempt someday.

I just wanted to share my daydream about building my own little mini house.  Have any of you felt the call to downsize?  Do you swoon at the sight of precie space management?  Ever attempted to build something completely beyond your skill set?

~Claire Out

No comments: