Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What I've Been Reading: The Element

I have to confess something, though I do read quite a lot, I have no newly finished novel to report back to you about this week.  I also don't have any gripping short stories, articles or poems to offer you.

So I'm going to reach back a little bit into the past and share with you a book that I finished a while ago, but that I still think about often.  It is called "The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything" written by Ken Robinson Ph.D.

I came across this book because I a few months ago I went on a TedTalks binge.  I was watching two or three a day, every day, for about two weeks.  And let me tell you, when you are watching the leaders of various fields give short and impactful speeches two or three times a day, it is really tricky to stand out from the crowd.  But Ken Robinson did.  Here is a look at the video when I first saw him:


In his lecture a few things stuck out to me; that creativity is as important to cultivate as literacy and in order to do so, intelligence must be thought of as diverse, dynamic and distinct.

I believe I was first introduced to the "theory of multipul intelligences" in elementary school and I have never had cause to refute the model that helped explain the diversity of learning styles and talents that I saw around me, (I must, however, qualify that very few people I know fit very neatly into a single category.) which is probably why his ideas resonated with me so much.

Dr. Robinson gives examples in his book of many people, (predominately artists, because they are least valued in schools) who had to struggle to find their talent, their learning style, their passion.  One example from his book is that a single school had both George Harrison and Paul McCarney in their music classes, and they left without any indication that they had a talent for music (or any interest in it!).  There has got to be something wrong with that system.

If for nothing else I recommend reading this book for the inspiring anecdotes of people finding their passions.  "The Element" also touches a bit on education's current problems and possible reforms.  The overt call-to-arms of his book and speech is to make schools a place that helps nurture students passions (whatever they may be) instead of holding them back.  This will lead to creative students in all disciplines coming out of schools.  And creative graduates, if you'll allow me a little poetic license, is the only possible way to use the tools we have now to prepare children for a future that we 'citizens-of-today' know frighteningly little about.  Even with it's powerful message (which clearly I agree with quite a bit...)  it is a non-fiction book that is actually fun to read.

~Claire Out.




No comments: