Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This American Life

This American Life, for those of you who don't know, is a radio program.  A great radio program.  And believe me, I never really thought I would say type those words.  I don't often listen to the radio, and to be honest I still don't.  I subscribe and listen to the This American Life podcast via iTunes.  It is one of the highlights of my week to listen to these insightful, funny, moving and informative shows.

It is tricky to describe what the show is "about".  The host Ira Glass often discribes it in the following way: "each week we choose a theme and put together different kinds of stories on that theme".  It doesn't sound too focused does it?  Well it isn't really very focused.  Some of the themes include: The European Economic Crisis, Conventions, BlackJack and The Ten Commandments. The only thing that each of the shows have in common is how consistently good they are.

I really recommend checking out an episode or two (for free!).  It is an amazingly well put together show that is sometimes news related and sometimes purely entertainment.  It is a good enough to deserve your undivided attention, but since it is a radio program it can also be enjoyed while you are cleaning, driving or doing some other menial task.

I am probably the last person in the world to get on the "This American Life" train, but I'm glad that I did.

~Claire Out.




No comments: