Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Claire vs. Tofu

I don't know about you, but in my family I was the picky eater. When we sat down to eat lovingly homemade dinners each night (so lucky I know!) I would turn up my nose at the meal before me. Over the years I ate edited versions of our family meals, pasta without any sauce, veggies without steak, and on the occasional meatloaf night I would happily munch on toast for dinner.

Now that I live alone and cook for myself I rarely have to face my picky eating ways. I buy the food I want to eat. Totally easy. However, this blog isn't about living easy, it is about stretching and trying something new. So I took on tofu.


As fas as I know I have never eaten a piece of tofu. (and never once did I feel deprived about it) But, I decided to take on this strange substance after reading this great post from the Daily Garnish. So, I went to the store and bought some firm tofu. Yes it comes in different consistencies, but I decided to overlook that fact because, it was shockingly cheap when compared with say, chicken.

I followed the recipe. Here are my tofu chunks drained.


The tofu cooking away.


And the final product. I decided to eat my new (scary) food in an old way. One of my go-to lunches. (Salad, quinoa, and protein with balsamic and olive oil)


I ate a single piece before digging into my meal. People tell you that tofu doesn't taste like anything. Those people are wrong. Tofu tastes (shockingly enough) like edamame, but it has a sort of grain-y back-taste, like wheat husks. The texture was rather novel too. The way I cooked them they came out crunchy/chewy in a way I have nothing to compare it to. Final grade? New, but not bad.

Is tofu my new favorite food? No. Would I eat it again? Absolutely. Mostly I'm proud of myself for preparing and trying a brand new food. Picky eaters can learn to expand their food horizons.

What was the last time you tried a new food?

Claire Out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you! I have actually been too intimidated to press my own tofu. I'm impressed.

Amanda Vickerson said...

I am SO PUMPED that you tried tofu! I love love love your description. That's just what it tastes and feels like, and it's hard to explain!

If you're in to salads, try this:
Cut tofu in triangles (for fun), soak it in some balsamic and evoo for a few minutes. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and then spread out the tofu triangles so they don't touch. Bake at 350 for an hour. They'll shrink and make EXCELLENT salad toppers! They aren't crunchy, per se, but are delish. (This also works with an Asian spin if you soak them in soy sauce instead.)

This winter, I've been experimenting with kale. It's wicked cheap, can be used as a filler in anything and can ALSO be baked and salted for a chip-like consistency. Delish!

xoxo!

Claire said...

Jamie & I are definitely on a new food kick! We just tried Tempeh and LOVED it! (inspired by Kaitlin using it in a recipe a few weeks ago). We made it sweet and sour style. I'd never had it before. I was always scared of tofu because the consistency freaks me out, but I liked that thempeh was hard. It was nutty and delicious. It is becoming a new staple for us.
We've also recently tried almond milk and greek yogurt (again, thanks Kaitlin), which are also quickly joining our food regimine. Next new food? Tonight is lentil burgers!