Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mission Accomplished!

I swam a mile today.

One mile. Me. Swimming. No stopping. A MILE. How cool is that?

When I started my swimming challenge six weeks ago I certainly wasn't able to swim a mile without stopping and now I can. Just let the epic-ness of that sink in. In six weeks I went from can't to can (couldn't to can?). Some of you may be saying to yourselves 'Duh, if you swim three times a week for six weeks you're bound to get better.' Well good job dear (skeptical) reader, because you are right, however, it was a lesson I needed to re-learn.

As a kid you obviously get better both physically and mentally all the time. Babies can't even focus their eyes and they learn how to get a handle on that pretty quickly. But it seems that lately (for the past 3-10 years) I had been on a downward slope. So often I was able to do less physically than I was the day before. How is that okay? It isn't. Which is why being able to swim a mile without stopping is so important to me. It represents for the first time in a long time, an upward trend of physical ability.

Now that I've had my first taste, I just want more. I'm going to try to keep up with swimming three times a week. This will be made much more challenging since my job will be starting tomorrow and the fact my usual gym is closing which means I have to endure a bit of a commute, but I am determined to keep going. My goal is to work out three times a week for the whole month of March. I'll let you know how it goes.

Claire Out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You can do anything you set your mind to. Very inspiring.