Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Good with the Bad

Regular readers of my blog may remember that this month I am abstaining from alcohol. It is part of my plan to learn moderation by examining my life without an indulgence for a month. I have to say that not drinking has proven much more difficult than giving up soda. Perhaps all the more reason for me to stick to my one month separation.

However, upon examination I feel this plan is somewhat incomplete. Just giving up an indulgence for a month, while a good start, isn't going to make me into a better person. While I will continue to examine old habits, I've also decided to start some new (positive) habits every month.

(I keep wanting to spell habits like hobbits with a double 'b' ... I'm a nerd.)

I was largely inspired to start new habits after reading "How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day" by Michael J. Gelb. The book was recommended to me by my friend Laura, who thought it would fit in with the Renaissance theme of my blog. The book suggests that there are seven aspects of thinking like Leo. 1. Curiosity 2. Experience and reflection on experience. 3. Honing the senses. 4. Embracing paradox and uncertainty. 5. Art and Science together. 6. Fitness and Grace. 7. Recognizing the interconnectedness of everything. Not too much to ask, right? Yikes! That's a lot to be working towards. Luckily, the book offers some great writing, physical, drawing and introspection exercises to help you work towards your ideal Renaissance self.

So I will pick an exercise from each of the categories to play with for a month, balancing my bad habit breaking with good habit forming. Hopefully, by March 15th I'll be a step closer to thinking like a Renaissance Woman. I'll be sure to report how it went.

~Claire Out.

2 comments:

Amanda Vickerson said...

What a great idea! Erin and I have been talking about abstaining from alcohol for a few weeks. I'm finding it hard to even think about it, let alone DO it. Keep on keepin' on!

Unknown said...

Hi! I am so glad you liked the book. Your blog is so awesome, too. It has been fun and inspiring to read along.