Saturday, July 30, 2011

August is Upon Us

(Ah, the slant rhyme. Well, if it was good enough for Shakespeare...)

Normally I start out the new month's post by talking about how my goals for the previous month worked out. And this month will be no different. I feel like I made progress on listening more. Showing interest in other people and engaging (yay!).

My goal to not eat out was less of a success. I ate out. Often. With rather detrimental results.

The best way I've found to ensure that I eat healthy meals is to pack myself a breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks with me when I go to work. (I work a minimum of 9am-8pm). If I don't do this I go a little nuts and give myself free reign to eat huge, unhealthy, meals. The downside of the pre-packed plan is that packing every single piece of food you are going to eat in a day takes a LOT of prep work. It's worth it at this point, as I'm still re-adjusting to a more healthy diet, when the cravings for cheeseburgers are at their worst. Here's hoping to more success next month.

Speaking of next month...

New positive habit : Swimming.

I've been really nervous about posting this goal, because I honestly don't know if I can do it. My goal is to swim a marathon (wait for it...) over the course of a month. Because I have a vacation to Seattle planned at the end of the month, that means I'll have to swim a little over a mile six days a week.

In case you didn't catch that: SIX DAYS A WEEK.

I normally work out three days a week (and even doing that is tricky). I honestly don't know if I have that kind of dedication (to working out) in me. I do, however, know that I have 26.2 miles in me. So if I miss a day, I'll double up. Fingers crossed I'll make it to September with a marathon under my belt.

Old bad habit to break: Internet surfing.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, and I seriously have a problem. Downtime at work? Brows around the internet. Get home from work? Brows around the internet. Sounds innocent, but it sucks away hours and hours of potentially productive time. I'm going to try to limit myself to aimless internet browsing for just a half an hour at a time. With no less than an hour of something else in between. Seriously I'm going to have to set a timer.

Here we go!

~Claire Out.

2 comments:

Claire said...

When are you going to Seattle? I'll be there for Labor day weekend.

Claire said...

Oh, have fun! I'll be there the weekend before you. Maybe I'll leave you a secret message, like carved into the wall of the space needle or something?