Thursday, August 4, 2011

5K Complete!

Today I finished day 3 of my month long swimming marathon. So far I've already completed a 5K! I thought I would take a moment to share some observations from my journey so far.

1. You know how chemical reactions have a certain activation energy? Well if working out in the mornings is my desired chemical reaction, the activation energy required is me choosing to wake up instead of hitting the snooze button.

Everything from the moment I chose to wake up onward takes care of itself. It is just those first thirty seconds of wanting to flop back down asleep that must be conquered. And it's tough.

2. You know those really healthy people that you are envious/admiring of at the gym? (Internal monologue: 'Why don't I look like her?"). Well it turns out they are at the gym EVERY day.

I didn't notice that until I was there too. If healthy people are at the gym every day. And I'm at the gym every day. That means I'm on well on my way to being a healthy person. Right?

3. Apparently Wednesday morning is the time to go swimming. It was so busy in fact, that I couldn't get in to swim. (There are are only three lanes at my gym.)

So I had an unexpected rest day. I'll have to do double duty over the weekend. And wake up a TAD earlier next Wednesday.

I feel like I've learned so much in less than a week. I'm learning what we in the Conger family call "lore". What gym tips have you guys picked up over the years? What is the trickest hurdle standing between you and your work outs?

No comments: