Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What I've Been Reading: Self Help...

I was a little reluctant to share with you all about reading this book.  Admitting to reading a self-help book seems... I don't know... weak?   However, when I consider that one of the major themes of this blog is self improvement I feel much better about admitting to reading a book to help myself along that journey.

This book was recommended to me when I described myself as a worrier.  The book is aptly titled: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie.  I was warned (and rightly so) of some outdated language, but I have to admit I found useful advice in every single chapter.  There were personal stories and historical references to support each point brought forward by Mr. Carnegie.  



Many of the ideas brought forward are not completely novel, however they helped bring old ideas into the forefront of my mind.  It helps me remember to let worry go.

I found it incredibly helpful 1. to realize that people from all eras have had deal with worry and 2. to realize if people who were living through the great depression and World War II could get over their worries I certainly could too.  I found the antiquated writing rather charming and enjoyed hearing the antidotal stories that were told to support each concept.

If you are a chronic worrier like myself I would recommend this book as a fun read that will remind you of some useful tips you already probably know about conquering worry.

~Claire Out.

1 comment:

Amanda Vickerson said...

WAIT. I didn't know you'd read this!!!

I love Dale. Taking the course changed my life.