Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Returning To Life

I am slowly coming out of the cloud of exhaustion that is a side effect of working both days and nights. I am still catching up on sleep a few hours at a time. By my calculations I should have recuperated 100% (or close to it) by the end of this week.

One of the unexpected benefits of working two jobs and getting very little sleep is the opportunity to check in with my priorities. When I had no time to do anything but work, I could almost effortlessly list the things that must be done, and the things I was yearning to do.

Some of you may question the wisdom of making any life choices when you are running on little or no sleep. You may be right, but for me exhaustion was a way for me to bypass the constant stream of clutter that normally clouds my brain.

Now that I am catching up on sleep and have free time again I am using my time more effectively. “Effectively” makes it sounds less romantic then how I actually feel about my new outlook. I no longer take time for self care for granted.

For example, laundry, grocery shopping and cleaning are pleasures instead of a pain. I now take time to read, write and catch up with friends instead of automatically turning on the TV after work.

I know that in time I’ll need to re-evaluate everything again. Hopefully next time I can evaluate how I spend my time without giving up sleep. I think that life likes to keep you on your feet, so I’m absolutely not writing anything in stone. But for right now, I’m just enjoying all of my ‘free’ time, and the new ways I’ve found to spend it.

~Claire Out.

No comments: