Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Time Out

I love my computer. I love my phone. I love my blogs, webcomics and podcasts. I love Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Netflix and Hulu.

However, these aren’t the ONLY things I love.

Percentage wise, I spend 100% of my waking hours ‘on call’ to … everyone. My friend posted a funny video, I have to check that out. I’ve got three new blog entries to read. I’ve gotten an e-mail from the office about something that needs to be picked up on Monday. The new episode of Glee posted!

It has gotten to the point that I feel anxious being disconnected long enough to take a bath.

Generally speaking, I want to watch those videos, read those posts, and communicate with the office. I’ve just come to realize that I don’t want to do that every hour of every day.

I want (perhaps need?) some time alone with my thoughts. Some time to focus on a single task. Some time to absorb, organize and consider the constant stream of information I’ve been subjected to for the past twelve hours straight. It seems so obvious, but I’m going to have to consciously make the effort to make time for myself to unplug.

Therefore, I’m going to try to take at least a one-hour break a day from checking e-mail, taking phone calls, surfing the internet or watching any media.

Not very impressive, I know, but you’ve got to start somewhere. Hopefully I’ll be able to build on my one-hour a day and work up to a whole day! (Dare to dream!)

Does anyone else yearn for some time to unplug? Am I the only one who gets sweaty palms thinking about going a whole day without checking my e-mail?

~Claire Out.

No comments: