Monday, October 24, 2011

Creative Costuming

This weekend was my first weekend free in three weeks. So, obviously, I overscheduled. (Did you read about my overscheduled vacation? Parts 1, 2 and 3?) The highlights of the weekend for me were my friend Chris’s "Mad Men" themed Birthday Party, and a dinner I hosted with the newly wed Leah and Chris.

I got really very exited about the chance to dress up for Chris’ party. I have a zero dollar policy with costumes these days. So I worked with what I already had. I took one of my favorite dresses that has a great retro top and used safety pins to modify the silhouette. I turned my A- line skirt into a pencil by simply folding in and pinning a little fabric on each side. Observe:

Then came the hair. Let me just start by saying that I have remedial hair styling skills. So I turned to a styling novice’s best friend: the internet.

I soon found several video tutorials on how to get the “Joan” hair from Mad Men. I teased, sprayed, and pinned my hair as best I could. The sweet (toxic) smell of hairspray brought me instantly back to my theater kid days. In the end I had something that looked like this:

(CONFESSION: I did have to shell out $3 and change to buy hairspray, which I have never before owned)

Not too bad for a first attempt. I don’t know that there will ever be a second attempt considering the amount of time it took. The whole dressing up process was really fun, but it made me grateful that I live in a time (and work in an industry) where I am allowed to go to work each day in jeans, a t-shirt and a ponytail.

~Claire Out.

No comments: