Saturday, September 17, 2011

Travel Part 2

In case you missed my first post, I am recounting my adventures of three vacations in one week!

Phase two of my journey was camping at Fallen Leaf Lake.

As a child every summer from the time I was three to the time I was nineteen my family would go to Stanford Sierra Camp for one week during the summer. The camp is located on Fallen Leaf Lake and is a family camp for Stanford Alumni (like m'Dad) and their families. Growing up I looked forward to that week every single year.

The things I loved the most were the feelings of tradition and freedom I felt when I was there. Since you could walk all over camp, I was suddenly free from carpools (Mom was too ... coincidentally). I could go to dinner with just my friends, I could go exploring the woods, paddle in a boat, and swim in the lake pretty much whenever I wanted. It. Was. Awesome.

Earlier this summer I was feeling a yearning to go back. So when this vacation came up, it was near the top of my must-do list.

I booked a campsite, and after visiting my family, Mike and I drove up to the lake.

It was just as beautiful as I remember. (Also it smells amazing. It is instant sensory recall and I'm back at camp again. A happy childhood smells like mountain air, pine trees, dust and lake water. Perfect.)

Our first evening we busied ourselves with the usual camp time activities: swimming in the lake, playing cards, making chili and sitting by the campfire.

The second day Mike and I planned to hike. I chose a trail I had done often before with the kids groups at camp. The easy little trail I remember from my youth was so much harder now that I'm old(er). Though the trail took its toll on me, the views on the way up were beautiful, and we were rewarded with fresh lemonade at the top.

Our last day at camp, Mike kindly endured a quick tour of Stanford Camp. It was great to see the sites, smell the smells, and hear the sounds again. After that we rented a Kayak and set out onto the lake. I love basically anything on the water, but kayaking may be my favorite. (Mike was a little less pleased since he took the brunt of some splashes and ended up sitting in a puddle. Sorry dear!)

It was great to get to vacation in a place with so many built-in memories. Though I am all about the new, (as you should know by now) it is great to remember things that made me so happy and a wonderful setting to re-connect with nature, relax, and explore.

~Claire Out.

No comments: