Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How I Pack for Camping

I was going to title this post, 'How To Pack for Camping', but I found that a little too presumptuous.

I mean, even the word 'camping' means different things for different people. Some folks don't consider it camping unless they are a two day hike away from another person, others couldn't be caught dead without their trailer with a full kitchen. I myself am what they call a 'car camper'. Happily in the middle of the spectrum.

I normally choose camping facilites with fire pits, a picnic tabels, running water and flush toilets. A little too much information? Sorry I'm just trying to be clear.

So without further ado: My Packing List

Shelter
1 Tent - I have a reasonably priced three person tent I bought from Target.
2 Sleeping Bags
2 Pillows
2 Sleeping Pads
2 Sets of Earplugs - A new addition from lessons learned on this little trip.

Campfire
Firewood - The ratio that worked last time was 1 pack for every two nights.
1 Newspaper - To help get you that fire started.
1 Box of Matches - Waterproof is always best.
2 Folding Chairs - It isn't camping unless you can sit around the fire, so I come prepared.

Dining
1 Cooler w/ Re-Freezable Ice Packs
1 Propane Stove - with extra Propane
1 Large Pot
1 Large Skillet
1 Sharp Knife
1 Cutting Board
2 Mess Kits - with cup, plate, bowl and silverware
1 Box of Trash Bags
1 Box of Ziplock Bags
1 Roll of Paper Towels
1 Bottle of Soap
1 Sponge
1 Plastic Tub for Washing Dishes - optional, but recommended.

Entertainment
1 Deck of Cards
2 Good Books - add more if necessary
1 Journal - to write down brilliant ideas or insights you gain while communing with nature.
1 Frisbee
1 (Ton of) - Camera (equipment... if you are Mike)

Smaller Equipment
2 Lanterns and Extra Batteries - I like to keep one on the picnic tabel and keep one in the tent.
2 Small Flashlights with Extra Batteries - One for each of us to always have on hand / in pocket during the evening.
1 Bandana
1 Pocket Knife
1 Bottle of Sunscreen
1 Bottle of Bug Spray
1 First Aid Kit
2 + Water Bottles - We normally do two 1L and a camel bak for long hikes.
1 Roll of Quarters - For Showers.
Trail Map

Clothing
This is a little bit too destination specific for me to cover here but generally I would recommend each person pack ...

1 Pair of Slip-on Shoes - for late night potty runs
1 Pair of Hiking Boots
1 Hat with a brim
1 Bathing Suit

Food
I will share my favorite camping meals in some later posts. With shopping lists and recipes! Can you stand the anticipation?

So there you have it. My personal camping list.

What can you not live without when you are 'roughing it'? What type of camping do you enjoy, backpacking, trailers or car camping? Hotel camping isn't camping... Mom. Did I miss anything obvious on my list?

No comments: