Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Little Healthy Competition

As a general rule, I tend to shy away from competition. I dislike comparing test scores, impromptu races to the end of the street and generally any event in which I might come in second place. (I was on a swim team for at least a full season before I could be convinced to attend a meet.) It isn't that I don't care to compete, it is that I care TOO MUCH.

When it becomes time to compete I am 100% in it to win it. Which is wonderful. And terrible. On one hand, I become focused, driven and excited. On the other hand I (embarrassingly) become a really bad sport weather I win or lose.

You see why I avoid showing off this glaring flaw in my character.

However, I have found an event that is going to bring me out of my self-imposed competition retirement. My office is having a Biggest Loser Competition. (No, it isn't a competition to see who is the biggest loser in the office ... so I'm going to stop you right there ... Channing.)

The contest will be to see who can lose the largest percentage body weight before September 1st. It will be a chance to move more, eat better and generally adopt healthier habits as an office. This is vital to my Exciting no?

And, we'll all be putting in a little money so there is a cash intensive for the winner as well.

And, I'm going to win.

I feel like this comes at a perfect time. I've been experimenting with healthy eating and different work outs all year, but never have I implemented diet and exercise together. The time is now. All I needed was a little push from my inner competitive monster.

All I have to say to my co-workers: You have been warned.



1 comment:

kris {life at the table} said...

woohoo! go claire, go!

just don't repeat the episode of the office where they try to lose weight and kelly stops eating entirely.