Friday, June 29, 2012

30 Second Vacations

I have already confessed to you before that I have a tendency to get a little overwhelmed with worry.  As if it were not enough to have my concerns and fears play on repeat in my head, there are physical effects as well.  My shoulders tense, my jaw clenches down and my breathing becomes shallow.

Figure A. Some signs of stress.  

Luckily, I have a plan!

Yesterday and today I have been reminding my body that it needs to relax.  Whenever I notice my shoulders are up around my ears while I'm writing e-mails, or I'm grinding my teeth while I'm filing paperwork, I'll take a deep breath and spend thirty whole seconds (I know... HUGE time commitment) relaxing.  I'll take a few deep breaths, release the tension in my shoulders, even close my eyes for a moment.

(The eye closing is discouraged if you are in the car...)

This has made a noticeable difference in my exhaustion level at the end of the work day.  It has cut in half the time it takes me to fall asleep at night.  And it keeps me present in the moment throughout the day.  The effects have so impressive... I think I'll keep this up.

I'll let you know how things go.

Figure B. My hoped-for result of this experiment.

~Claire Out.

No comments: