Thursday, June 14, 2012

Baader-Meinhof and Me

The basic idea of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is that upon hearing a new word or idea, suddenly you see and hear it everywhere.  I am experiencing something like this effect with a very simple idea, 'live in the present'.

This is not a new idea, it is not a terribly revolutionary idea, but it is one that has recently struck a chord with me (within me?) and I find it popping up everywhere.   Seemingly every article online, every book I read, every conversation with family and friends echos and re-enforces the advice to live in the moment.

While it is a valued skill to be forward-looking, forward-thinking and plan for the future, the majority of my time spent looking ahead consisted of worry.  'What does my future hold?  What if something goes wrong?  What if I mess up?  What if I disappoint the people I love?' was a nearly constant refrain.  And I found it sometimes paralyzing.

I've been aware for a while now that not everyone is plagued by these thoughts, though, until recently I didn't believe I could cultivate a worry-free attitude myself.  I thought you are either born a worrier or you are one of the lucky few.

Now, I'm thinking that one of the ways I can combat my worries about the future and my regrets about the past is to instead focus on the present.  (Duh, right? ... sometimes these things take me a while.)  Instead of all my energy being drained away into fretting about tomorrow, my effort can be put towards taking actions that will help me prepare for it.

That's what has been on my mind lately; taking deep breaths, enjoying small moments, and taking action.

~Claire Out

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This was definitely something I needed to read today.

Claire said...

Glad it helped. I could probably use a daily reminder. Maybe it will get easier?